The city of Denver purchased the land and donated it to the Army in the early years of World War Two. The Army quickly established a large US Army Air Force Base, training over fifty thousand airmen through basic, and housing a technical training center for bombardier and armorer roles. After World War II, Buckley became an auxiliary field for Lowry AFB, an Air National Guard Field, and then a Navy Air Station all in the space of three years. Buckley was renamed Naval Air Station Denver until the base was transferred to the US Air Force in 1959, when it became Buckley Air Force Base for a year, before becoming Buckley Air National Guard Base – the first stand-alone Air National Guard Base, home of the 120th Tactical Fighter Squadron. The total-force integrated team is integral to the success of the missile warning mission along with the success of Team Buckley.